Thursday, February 5, 2009

Michael Kay is ALWAYS Correct

As many people know Michael Kay hosts a local show every weekday, 2-7 on 1050 ESPN Radio. Listeners of the show are well aware of the relationships he had with Mike Mussina and Joe Torre: distant. Michael has been saying for years that Torre and himself rarely communicated, often telling his listeners that "Saint Joe" is hardly the man the media makes him out to be. I for one completely agree with Kay. Don't get me wrong; I love Joe and everything he brought the Yankees, especially the joy that was brought to me during the 96-01 seasons. However its time to wake up and realize Joe stepped way out of bounds on this one. Here's a man who preached clubhouse sanctity for 12 years and suddenly it's fine to throw that all away? It's not as if he wrote this book 5-10 years after retiring, the team he left still employs several of his past players. Saint Joe? I think not.
    Mike Mussina and Michael Kay, after the first interview Kay told Mussina, "Don't worry I'll never bother you again". The reason, Mussina would act like the interview was a huge ordeal and the questions were never good enough. Kay points out that Mussina truly believed he was more intelligent than everyone else in the room, a graduate of Stanford and he would make you well aware of that. YouTube videos of Mussina being interviewed and one will quickly notice his facial expressions and tone of voice when answering reporter's questions. Mussina truly believed he was above everyone and his quotes in "The Yankee Years" are no different. Mussina can issue statements trying to clarify his thoughts in the book, but at the end of the day why even say it? Here's a man who hasn't won anything and he's calling out the great Mariano Rivera, the man who was ultimately responsible for the run of the championships. People want to get on A-Rod and question his ring count, what about Mussina where's his ring? Since coming over from Baltimore the Yankees didn't win a single championship and Mussina's postseason record is 7-8 with a 3.42 ERA. According to Mussina though it's Rivera who let every opportunity slip away.
When the book hit stores Tuesday not a single person should have been surprised to read these comments. These were two men that most of the media and all fans adored. There true colors are flying now and Michael was right from the beginning. As I stated I love Joe and all that he brought NYC, as for Mussina, I was happy for him when he won 20 games. Today I couldn't be happier knowing that he's sitting on a tractor in Pennsylvania.  

No comments:

Post a Comment